Landlord FAQs

How much rent can I charge?

The amount of rent you can ask for your property will depend on several factors. The market is often dictated by the supply of and demand for properties to rent. Rental prices can fluctuate depending on the current market trends, the property location, condition, presentation and size amongst other factors.

The best way to find out how much rent you are likely to achieve is to ask an experienced agent to undertake a market appraisal of the property.  Contact us on 01872 242425 to book your free no obligation rental valuation now!

Do I have to use an agent?

There is no legal requirement to use an agent when letting out your property, however the lettings industry can be complicated and the advice and services of an experienced, qualified letting agent can turn letting your property into a much more hassle-free experience.

Should I let my property furnished or unfurnished?

You can let your property either furnished or unfurnished.  There is a higher demand from tenants for properties that are unfurnished and furnished properties also have to meet other legal requirements that an unfurnished property may not.

For example, all furniture supplied by a landlord within a property to let must comply with The Furniture and furnishing (fire) (safety) Regulations 1988.   For more information or advice on the requirements for letting furnished or unfurnished properties then please call and speak to a member of our lettings team.

Who chooses the tenants?

We will always advise the landlord on which tenants may be suitable for the property but the final decision is always the landlords.

How does Goundrys Estate Agents ensure I get good tenants?

At Goundrys Estate Agents we take every step to ensure you get the right tenants for your property.  We recommend that any potential tenant that wants to apply for a property should undergo a referencing procedure.   This will normally include a credit and affordability check, employment references sought and previous landlord references/rental history looked at.

What happens if my property requires repair or maintenance?

If your property requires repair or maintenance then we will contact you to discuss this.  We have a wide range of available contractors that we use that can deal with every aspect of property maintenance.  We can instruct a contractor or obtain quotes on your behalf.  If you have a preferred contractor then we can liaise with them on your behalf so you don’t have to!  Landlords are required to carry out certain maintenance and repairs by law and we are happy to advise you on what these may be.

What are my obligations as a landlord?

As a residential landlord you have certain obligations as set out by law.  There are several pieces of legislation that will be relevant to letting your property including:

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 - You have an obligation to provide and repair any provisions for heating, hygiene and supply of water etc.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 - All furniture and furnishings must comply with current fire safety regulations.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1988 - All gas plumbing and appliances must be checked annually to ensure they are safe for use.

Tenant Fees Act 2019- An act that prevents landlords and letting agents from charging tenants certain fees.

These are just a few of the pieces of legislation that may affect you as a Landlord, please call us for further information and advice.

Do I need permission from my mortgage lender?

Yes, if you have a mortgage then you need to notify your lender of your intention to rent the property.

How can I improve my chances of letting my property?

To have the best chance of letting your property it is important to listen to your agent’s advice.  Price is key and we have a detailed knowledge of the market and area and can advise you on what price you should expect to achieve.  Making sure your property is well presented will also improve your chances of finding a good tenant quickly.  Make sure your property is in good decorative order, in a good state of repair and is clean and tidy for the best chance in finding a suitable tenant quickly. Remember, the residential letting market is very competitive and your property will be up against several others so make sure yours stands out above the rest!

Who pays for the utilities?

Unless it has been otherwise negotiated the tenant will be responsible for paying all utilities including electric, water, council tax and gas or oil where applicable.

What is an Inventory and Schedule of Condition Report and why should I have one?

An inventory and schedule of condition report is a document that details the condition of the property along with any fixtures and furnishings that may be present.  These are imperative in ensuring that deposit claims at the end of the tenancy are successful, you are unlikely to succeed in re-claiming monies from your tenant’s deposit for damages or dilapidations without a professional inventory.

How do I receive my rental income?

You will receive your rental income on a monthly basis via a BACS payment direct into your bank account less our fees and you will receive a statement detailing income and expenditure.


If you have any other questions that are not answered above then please give us a call on 01872 242425.